Welcome to our second home, our first build, thanks for following our journey!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Questions and Queries

Since we are back at Cosham next week I have started my list of things that I need to query or question, or just find out about full stop! I thought I might list them here so that I can see how I go next week and hopefully will have them all answered. I am quite nervous about colours this time as it was not what I expected at all last time, but we will see!
  • I'm really not sure on my wall colour. I want something that's darker than a white, with a beigey type tone. I really need help here and I'm hoping that they will be able to make suggestions for me next week. Please let me know if you have any ideas!! It's Dulux btw.
  • Are my stained doors (front, both laundry doors and dressing) stained on both sides or are the external doors only stained on the outside?
  • I need to double check my handles and the way they will be positioned on the kitchen drawers and vainity drawers if they are going to be horizontal.
  • I was going to query about making the toilet/ensuite/bathroom windows obscure/translucent but have decided to do this just with the loo and leave the bathroom and ensuite (thanks Fel!). As the ensuite looks out to the front, I will always have my shutters closed when I am showering or what not and this way they will look uniform across the front.
  • Is the bath square or round? (some of these questions are probably eye rollers!)
  • How will the tiles be layed in the shower and around the bath as they are brick shaped but I don't want them layed like bricks, I would like them to be stacked.
  • Add a privacy lock to the main W.C.
  • Change the laundry tiles, this has been a main concern ever since we left Cosham last time as we sort of rushed into it and just agreed with something for the sake of it I think. So I am looking forward to making this change.
  • Query laundry benchtops as I have written down Jerusalem Stone but my sample chip is Petra Stone?? Hmm.
  • Check out what the flywire door is going to be like on the laundry, is it mesh or those cross type things?? (another eye roller!)
  • Are the flyscreens lockable?
  • What is the difference between tranlucent and obscure glass?
  • There is something I need to query about the front door handle but I can't understand what I have written down here, so will have to go and check that out!
  • What are the doors and handles on the butlers pantry?
  • Does tiled skirting need to be in the contract, or is it and I am blind?
  • Smart wiring packages (this may have to wait until tender)
  • Can they do phone points? (again may have to wait until tender)
  • Where is the fuse box, if they know? I can't seem to see it on the plan. (Again may just be me!)
  • Carpets - look at the new range and pick one!
  • They also have new timber laminate so will check that out too.

At the moment that is all that I can think of and def won't be a whole three hour appointment required. I'm sure Kris can add to that list too!

Stay tuned for answers this time next week :)

3 comments:

  1. darl, we have DULUX Hogs Bristle (1/4 strength) on our walls (see our building blog) and its fantastic - people often say it is a great colour, and the DULUX colour lady told me it was by far their most popular colour - so you should seriously consider it! (btw, make sure the handles ARE horizontal!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bek, I might be a little rusty, but I'll try and answer a few of your queries... although I think you went to Cosham yesterday?

    - Timber stained doors - Henley only stain the external side, they will paint the interior.
    - Flyscreens will be fitted to the window frame, they're not lockable, they can be removed fairly easily.
    - Henley dont do phone points, but once your build gets to that stage they'll email you a list of reccommended contractors for you to organise to go on site and install the wiring.
    - If you've picked the free standing bath for your ensuite, it'll be round, if you've picked it to be inset (I think that's the term) it'll be square).
    - Difference between translucent and obscure. I think they're pretty much the same thing, as people refer to either when talking about the same product. If you check out our blog or thread, our front door glass and side lights are 'translucent' and our ensuite and bathroom windows are 'obscure'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Annie, I have had another look at your wall colour, I know that I have seen it in the past when reading your blog and liked it. I was sure I had a sample for Hogs Bristle but I can't seem to find it, might have to do a stop at Bunnings!

    Thanks also Erin, great to have a few things answered, they seem like such silly questions but things that you really want to know!! When I was admiring your front door yesterday I noticed that it was translucent (or obscure!) and thought it looked good. I hate the thought of people being able to walk past and see straight in! I'm back at Cosham on Sunday so hopefully will have the rest of the answers then :)

    ReplyDelete